11 June 2010

thoughts... hot off the press!

               laundry... 
As a college student I have had the opportunity to use laundry facilities at the many apartment complexes I have lived... both single/student and married/community.  Through this time I have realized that there are many types of laundry people. There are two types that I would like to mention now.
There are laundry people who are exact and particular with the way things are done.  They set alarms so they can get their clothes out of the washer and then the dryer at the perfect time.  They have the opportunity of folding their clothes while they're still hot and have no wrinkles.  The one I encountered today was bald.
The second type of laundry person is ME.  It took me about two years to really figure out what kind of laundry person I was, but I have developed into this type.  The forgetful launderer.  It takes a few days of mentioning the need to do laundry before I actually do it.  It takes a few hours of distracting myself before I switch the laundry to the dryer.  And it takes a few hours (and at times a whole day) to finally get my wrinkled clothes back to my house to be folded and hung up.  
The popular thing to do in the laundry facility is take others' laundry out of the washer or dryer (more often), set it on top of the counter, and continue to finish what you started.  As I was developing my system of doing laundry, I felt kind of uneasy about handling another person's laundry.  There are many things you wear and clean that you don't want others to see, let alone touch.  BUT 'everyone else was doing it' so I joined in.  I mean I actually came to the facility... if I waited for another opportunity I might have had a couple more loads to include.  So I opened the door to the dryer and a wall of warmth swept over me.  (No it wasn't inspiration.)  I saw to situations before me.  1- This fellow launderer is just like me and won't be back for a couple hours.  2-  This person likes the feel of warm, wrinkle-free laundry more than they like hulu.  I took the chance.  I was quick.  I watched my back to make sure no one was coming, and I switched their laundry with mine.  
As I turned around to leave I heard someone walk in the door, and when I looked up the bald man was glaring at me and heading to the same dryer I was leaving!  Now he knows that I know that he wears blue underwear.  

...I think I should turn into a Type 1 launderer.

2 comments:

  1. I am in between those two, but I have my own washer and dryer. I hate laundry!!! It is awful, and should be made into a more simpler procedure. Go ahead... invent it. :)

    ReplyDelete